1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

blog 19. Today!

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 1136

Today is the 18th June 2015.

It is or was suppose to be my closest brothers birthday today.
He died about 7 years ago, of a massive coronary. He went to work, died instantly, never made it home, aged 55.
The only condition he had was T2 diabetes.
He thought he was doing well, except obviously he wasn't!
He still smoked, had the odd beer, liked his food and though fairly fit for his height and stature certainly didn't do enough exercise.

He was my go to brother, my friend, my bunkmate, my street cred teacher, he tuned my ears for the love of my genre of music and helped me to become a better sportsman, better person, helped me to become a better parent and grandad. With fathers day coming up as well, I will be saying something special for my dearest!

Today is also the 200th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. This was a favourite battle that I studied, because of the connections of all my brother's birthdays.
I have read extensively and had my share of weird dreams about it.

How can I not be thoughtful about the date?
It would have disrupted the british way of life in the early nineteenth century to have such a hostile close enemy across the channel.
It could have led to a different relationship with Europe and especially the Germanic states into the Victorian era. Would a really strong French state have been involved in the Franco- Prussian war?
I'm not to sure!
Could it have changed the Royal line? And the big split between Victoria's grandchildren that probably caused the first world war? Probably!
I've no doubt that there would have been a big European war anyway, but Waterloo changed the balance of power in Great Britain's favour and she built an empire because of it! There are no ifs, buts, maybe! It allowed our monarchy to thrive and spread their influence around the world!
If that hadn't happened, by the middle of the 20th century, the world that split asunder because of Hitler and Hirohito, though having recently researched the Japanese conquest for natural resources into out and out war. The Americans brought about the war because of decisions made before the crash of 1929. To deny the Japanese, simply supplying commodities, minerals and resources that they had to import as well as basic foodstuffs, then Pearl harbour might not have happened!
This brings me back to my dad, as it's dad's day on Sunday. His adult life was drastically changed because of the war, he was never the same, even though he survived the jungles of Burma, the Japanese and double malaria. A chindit, and proud of it! But would never talk of it!
He sired a family and taught each and everyone one of his four sons to work, play and live life to our family. We got out of poverty, because of the boys work ethic and we all dragged ourselves to live better lives.
I give thanks to the generations before mine from doing their bit in both world wars.
Perhaps we could all do with a bit of giving peace a chance, not just here, but in all the world. Or would all those sacrifices be for nought, because of the power hungry fools that are causing all the different wars across the globe now.

Maybe had we lost Waterloo, it was close, it definitely would have been different!

Maybe, my family line wouldn't have got past the Victorian era. According to my grandad, because of our kids birthday, he said that we had a distant relative that fought there and survived!

What if we had lost?
There would have been a good chance he wouldn't have survived!

Weird ain't it!

Anyway, thinking of you Bruv!
  • HazelD
  • Robinredbreast
  • Lamont D
  • WeeFergus
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook