1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

blog 21. oh! sugar butties!

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 570

As some who has an aversion to 'white gold' as it was referred to by the huge factory across the river from my neighbourhood, in other words, I grew up opposite the now defunct Tate and Lyle factory that produced our friend cane sugar in millions of tons, whilst it was open.
There has been a recent campaign by some doctors to have a sugar tax put on it so that buyers would be put off purchasing the product.
Some would say that this is a worthwhile ambitious plan.
I don't!
I believe that doing so would make some of the worst heavily sugared drinks more subject to abuse by our youngest members of our community, I think that some of our more vulnerable kids would get a kick out trying to get a form of buzz or addiction to those types of drinks. They would become iconic and revered!
There is already a huge problem at an epidemic levels because of some energy drinks.
The answer is education and getting our drinks industry to invest in new forms of sweeteners that have been developed but not passed by the American food watchdogs!
The answers are already there and the way forward is clear.
Already the big cola firms have done some adjustment in there plans for the future. But that is not enough!
Surely regulating the sugar in the drinks and using harmless sweeteners are the answer!
Regulating the big companies to change is financially beneficial to all parties and the world would be a healthier place!
Already the big sugar companies are diversifying into other areas, the cola biggies are looking at other soft drinks, that are not loaded with the amount of sugar in them!
Why can't the government stop sitting back and letting others do their job for them by introducing a sugar tax on the company's that have upward of ten teaspoonsful of sugar in each glass of drink!
Aren't we taxed enough?
The food and drink companies are reaping the profits from 'white gold'! Surely they don't want the tax either!
Already, this week, there has been a statement about the growth of T2 diabetes again!
Are these people waiting for the miracle cure?
I hope not!
  • timerich
  • Lamont D
  • Janiept
  • timerich
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook