1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Change is needed

Published by CassandraGreensmith in the blog CassandraGreensmith's blog. Views: 624

So, over the years I've been trying hard to kick diabetes ass. I'm a type 2 on insulin since I was diagnosed at 7 weeks pregnant with my first child who is now 6 and a half years old. But I've realised that I've been playing at it. I gain success, such as being able to come off my insulin the year before last and then let it slide, I almost self sabotage myself. I am definitely addicted to carbohydrates in all its forms, a very severe addiction which has taken over my life, inflicted my body with all sorts of problems.

The past few weeks my blood sugars have been out of control and to begin with I wasn't bothered, I was in the midst of a a carb induced haze and all I could think of was my next carb hit. I spent a night with my heart pounding and thoughts of dying and decided I need to once again take control. I've struggled to get them down more than ever before, I've took hundreds of units of insulin and nothing was working really. This morning I've took them from 16 to 6.0 through eating only fat and a small amount of protein and no carbs l, alongside black coffee, water and some exercise. I need to make a change, my eyesight is definitely affected and I've been dodging my eye screening because I'm scared of what they will say I've also missed all of the diabetic consultant appointments I've been sent since my twins were born in March 2016. I don't know why really, maybe I'm too busy, or at least that's the excuse I've made, but I fear maybe it's postnatal depression, I just can't seem to focus on anything and struggle to find the energy to actually do things like go to appointments or deal with situations.

Anyway I'm trying to make a permanent change this time, for my husband, for my children and mostly for myself. I want to live a long life that is healthy, I don't want to die having been fat, unhappy with myself and trying to lose the weight for all of my life. If I don't do it now at the age of 31, I don't think I ever will. God help me, everyone help me because I am going to need all the help I can get.
amvanman likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook