1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Christmas in the madhouse!

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 748

Merry Christmas and whilst I prosper with my own health, it is a pity that I have to witness the absolute absurdity of celebrating chrimbo with the rest of my lot.
The better half, type two and back problems having too many treats.
Her brother a confirmed alcoholic, with a pint glass in his hands and a reefer not too far away, another few months in the rehabilitation centre, but as the wife would say, it's Christmas!
My son's and daughter drinking to access and eating too much, spending too much money and time on prezzies.
Partying to all hours and being far too generous.
The grandkids swamped with too many toys, too much tech and too much money, my fault for a change!
Lots of love and good will all round!

The father in law, (the coffin dodger!) He has already gone through a few bottles of wine as per usual, dressed in his Santa jumper. Toddling around with his walking stick, shopping for non essential items of food and we will definitely need that for Christmas day and still have the same stuff in the cupboards from last, two, three Christmases past! Bought Christmas pudding but no one likes it except for me and I can't!
Everyone buys him spirits at this time despite knowing of his chronic alcoholism and he has gone through so much, that he has his Christmas and New year's holiday in hospital, he has not failed for the past four years because he keeps getting pneumonia! He never learns, he keeps going out in the wet and cold, to get his evening tipple!
He's deaf as well, as he will completely ignore you if you are trying to talk sense. He shouts because he won't wear his hearing aid, he whistles when he speaks because his teeth (falsies) don't fit!
His eating and every other habit is disgusting, designed to upset you. He won't throw food away, he stores food that is way out of date and one of us has to clean out the cupboards every now and again. He is disgusting!
He is a very selfish person, which is synonymous with alcoholics.
He would and should be amongst the rest of his age in our family but he won't go!
He has been resuscitated many times, more lives than a cat, even though he has DNR on his medical notes and still they got him back!
I sometimes wonder if he's still here just to irritate us!
I wouldn't put it past him!

Everything is nearly ready for the big day!
I've got my roasted gammon for the evening, the turkey is awaiting the oven, all the vegetables are prepared. The tree is swamped ten feet tall with prezzies!
The ambulance is booked and looking forward to a quieter Christmas than you would think! (No, it's not!)

See you soon, if I survive it!

Bah humbug!

Merry Christmas everyone!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook