1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cold Turkey.

Published by KookieMunchster in the blog KookieMunchster's blog. Views: 476

Perhaps because my diagnosis was made at a point in time after one of the darkest periods of my life; that it almost seemed rather trivial by comparison.
Or perhaps the enormity of the issue had not (has not) quite settled in yet.
Maybe it's even more than that, maybe it's just the way I've always been...

I was just grateful it wasn't anything worse.
I was thankful that I have it at this point in time where there's much more known about it; and where you are actually empowered to be able to do something about it.
I was elated that there's still low calorie ice-cream to be had and life can still be artificially sweet for people shunned by sweet things!

Calamity seems to come in clumps. The past few years of my life were spent in grief of loosing loved ones;
Spent in emergency rooms, looking at time tick and life fade...
Spent seeing differing medical conditions come and go in 8 person wards, where my father was the longest living dying resident...

What is healthy in the face of all that?
What is the value and quality of life?
Those were questions I'd already visited.

I don't particularly like change, but I've always just learned to adapt and get on with it.
What I appreciate about a challenge in life is that it makes the dross fall away if you can rise up to meet it.

"Sometimes your life won't turn out how you plan it. It turns out how you work for it."
“I am more than my generational curses”
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook