1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coming up behind me.

Published by Guzzler in the blog Guzzler's blog. Views: 923

Five months from diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes. What stage am I at now, I wonder. I hope that I am entering the acceptance phase but I am under no illusion that this could change. I am still checking labels and bg, still researching finding good things and bad when it comes to diet and excercise, and settling in to the new habits that no longer bring the fears of complications right to the fore of my mind.

I feel useful, mostly for myself but also to my family. I am making inroads into making their diet a little better and at least I can alert them to previously unknown risks. This makes me feel a tad better about my parenting skills (XL sons are grown up but they are still my babies!). And if I can influence their habits then those of my grandchildren will benefit.

Which brings me to the title of this entry. Am I not duty bound to assist those who come after me? My family and those who may be going through the shock of diagnosis? Isn't this what being a parent and a freind is all about? I am extremely lucky to have the love and support of family and I thank my lucky stars that I have them so does it cost me anything at all to give a helping hand to those newly diagnosed who are going through all the difficulties that I went through just a short while ago?
It costs us nothing but arn't we honour bound to do it? I think we are.

Stay well, folks.
  • Ixarix
  • Guzzler
  • Ixarix
  • Guzzler
  • Guzzler
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook