1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Day Zero - The Sudden, Precipitate Diagnosis and what happened next.......

Published by CondorX in the blog CondorX's blog. Views: 559

Friday 26 April 2019. Had a GP appointment, just a routine asthma check, had gone for some bloods a few weeks previously - GP said last time I saw him that as I hadn't had any bloods done for over 10 years, he thought I should just have a few routine checks as I had reached my 60th birthday......that was October 2018, but the form lay in my car for months as I was always "too busy". Eventually, the car needed a service, so I cleared it out and .....found the form!!! Went and had the bloods done sometime in March.
Left work a little earlier to make the GP appointment that day, dropped by the supermarket and stashed up on a few choccies and tiny mixer cans of my beloved Coca Cola (150ml - only drinking one a day at that time - in a bid not to have too much sugar. LOL)

I had just sat down when the GP suddenly piped up "Oh before I forget to tell you, you are diabetic. Pretty definite, not 100%sure which type but likely type 2. Have a few more bloods done this week. Non-urgent. Cholesterol not bad, a bit borderline-ish though do you want to start Statins?"

Well. No thanks to statins at the moment thanks...........or oral antidiabetic meds........

Let's check it all, as you say.

So I went home, quite shocked. As was my partner, who I was worried about for years as being more likely to have developed diabetes.....

I did a lot of online research, found the forum and a lot of other info. I am a medical doctor so have some background savvy about it all.
Bought a Glucometer - Accuchek mobile - and several books, including Michael Moseleys Blood Sugar Diet.

Checked my weight - 82kg. Far to heavy for my size

And Day Zero ended there, with me starting the LCHF diet and checking bloods frequently..........
  • CondorX
  • CondorX
  • ringi
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook