1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Entry Number 15: The Road to Tresiba!

Published by Charles Robin in the blog Charles Robin's blog. Views: 408

I have had a busy couple of weeks, and have quite frankly been rubbish with keeping up my blog posts. Well, at this precise moment, I am rectifying that! To be honest I have not had much to report that would interest the diabetes community until today.

I had my latest diabetic clinic this afternoon. This forum is filled to the brim with negative experiences of the NHS? I therefore feel very blessed that my healthcare team are actually giving me the help I need. My appointment was overwhelmingly positive. I have lost 5kg since my last appointment, now weighing in at 73kg (I'm 5'11" so I wasn't overweight before, but I'm happy at the weight I'm now at). At my last appointment, my main target was to reduce my ldl cholesterol. Last time it was 3.5. Now it's 2.7, so yay! My HBA1C has gone from 34 to 33. My consultant said I was a whisker away from entirely non diabetic levels. A lot of doctors would slam this and say it was too low. Instead, she congratulated me on my efforts. My kidney function was also good (I was expecting this as I have never had kidney problems thus far). Readers of previous entries might notice I usually follow positivity with a 'however.' Today is no different.

HOWEVER, I had to admit that I have been having a lot of hypos in the past couple of months. I showed my results, and how they had become more erratic, despite very rigorous efforts. I said I thought my Lantus was to blame, and she said she could support that theory. I said I wanted to try Tresiba. Members of this forum recommended it to me, as its reportedly a much more stable basal insulin. It's main drawback is that it's very expensive to the NHS compared to Lantus and Levemir. However, my consultant said that she felt I satisfied the criteria for trying it. I need to discuss it with my DSN next week, but she said that she would be happy to give it the green light for me. She did say though that its effects on me would need to be monitored. Due to its cost, there would need to be evidence that it was having a positive effect on my control. As I note down all my results anyway I said that would be no problem at all. Despite the hypos, my consultant said that she was impressed with the efforts I was making, and continued to support my low carbohydrate diet. All in all, I was extremely happy with the appointment.

Once I have seen my DSN and hopefully got out onto using tresiba, I will make another blog post, with early reactions to the latest destination in my journey with diabetes! That will likely be in about a weeks time. Thanks for reading!
HazelD likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook