1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Entry Number 16: The worst time for a hypo.

Published by Charles Robin in the blog Charles Robin's blog. Views: 494

Just a quick recount of some brute stupidity today. Yesterday afternoon, I went for a coffee with my wife. My blood sugars were 5.2 when I had lunch, so I figured all was good. However, I didn't realise I had done the classic stupid thing; given myself my short acting insulin twice. Instead of five units, I had ten of the buggers running round my system. We were walking into town, and I started feeling odd. Again, another stupid thing coming up. I told myself 'Oh it feels like a hypo, but there's no way it could be. You have things nailed at this time of day. You're just tired!' When my wife said I looked hypo, I assured her I was not. She persisted, and I got irritated. I said fine I'll do a test but it's a waste of time and a stick. Unfortunately, for the first time in months I was getting severe hypo induced lack of cognitive thought. I had come to the conclusion I was not hypo, and in my impaired state I clung to that belief. So imagine my surprise when up came 1.9. That hit me like a ton of bricks. So I managed to blurt out an apology and tried to get the dextrose. This took a while, as usually my pockets are crammed full of stuff. (After yesterday my wife has resumed her habit of also carrying dextrose in her purse in case of a future hypo). However, I got there and stuffed some dextrose tablets into my mouth.

Now, anyone who has had hypos knows how difficult it can be to walk during one. My wife said we should just stay where we were until I was feeling better. I was back into co-operative mode now, so I agreed, still apologising for my previous stubbornness. However, life had other plans. About 50 yards behind us, there was a pub. We suddenly noticed a lot of shouting coming from said pub. A very violent drunk man had just been evicted from it. He was stumbling around, and then decided to start walking in our general direction. He was taking swipes at random passers by while he unleashed a barrage of profanity. We decided that it was time to see just how quickly dextrose tablets kicked in. I started stumbling away,my wife helping me to just about manage to stay on my feet. However, I was not very fast, and this drunk guy's yelling was getting closer and closer behind. He was not specifically chasing us, but he was in the mood to take out his rage on anything or anyone at hand. Very fortunately, a number of people had called the police by now. They arrived and apprehended him before he caught up with us.

I guess the lesson here is, don't be arrogant. I convinced myself that because I take measures to control my diabetes I am above it. Yesterday was a reminder that if it looks, feels and quacks like a hypo, I am probably having a hypo. Also, it was yet another reminder that my wife tends to be right whenever she makes a suggestion. After eight years with her I really should have learned that by now.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook