1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Entry Number 17: Now On Tresiba!

Published by Charles Robin in the blog Charles Robin's blog. Views: 700

I am pleased to report that I have started my 'probationary period' with Tresiba. I saw the DSN last Wednesday. She downloaded my blood test results, and was very worried by the frequency of hypos I was having. According to the data, 20% of all my results over the last 3 months have been under 4. She was strongly of the opinion that she wanted to torpedo my low carbohydrate diet. However, my health team has gradually learned that it's far easier to work with me than against me. I have a robust stubbornness when I believe im in the right, which I inherited from my dad's side of the family. Therefore, my DSN had a chat with my consultant, and they agreed to prescribe Tresiba for 6 months. If the hypos had not stopped, I was informed that I would be put back onto Lantus. In my view, that's fair enough. The NHS is stretched thin for resources, and they need to see they are getting bang for their buck. Tresiba is more expensive than Lantus, and if it does me no favours then there's no point me using it.

So far, I have taken three doses of Tresiba. My DSN told me to lower my dose initially. I was on 15.5 units of Lantus, she told me to use 10 units of Tresiba. I reckoned that was too low, so I started on 12 units. So far, this has strongly suggested I need to increase my dose. My levels have been higher than usual, including peaking at 12.2 yesterday evening. I took 3 units of Lispro and brought them down to the mid 4s by this morning, but am now staying at around 8.4. My knee jerk reaction is to correct with short acting, but my wife has councilled me to show restraint. She said that a few days of higher blood sugars will not matter in the grand scheme of things. I have agreed that I will not give short acting insulin to correct blood sugars up to 9, and will only use 1 unit for anything over that level. That way, I can gradually increase my dose of Tresiba, and make sure that it's keeping my blood sugars stable. The first two doses I took 12 units. Yesterday, I increased that to 13. This evening, I will go to 14 units, keeping track of how this is affecting me.

I'm making a concerted effort to keep my meals regular, and not have the odd snack. Since I have been having a lot of hypos, I was allowing myself the luxury of a bit of extra mayonnaise here, an extra low carb hot chocolate there. I have stopped that, as I believe I have the solution to blood sugar irregularity in injection form. It would be pointless to try this experiment if I'm pulling the results around with unnecessary variables.

So in conclusion, at this stage it's too early to say whether Tresiba will work for me in the long run. I reckon once my body has settled down with the change, and I have got the dose right, I will see good results. I will post again when I have more information. Thanks for reading!
HazelD likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook