1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Entry Number 18: Tresiba and Easter.

Published by Charles Robin in the blog Charles Robin's blog. Views: 1790

I held off posting this blog entry for a couple of weeks, whilst I played around with my Tresiba dose and saw what it was doing to my blood sugars. I am now ready to cautiously report success with the switch. For the first few days my blood sugars got some hay and some wire, and put them together. At the risk of digressing, where does the term 'haywire' come from? I'll probably Google it later but I'm too lazy right now. Anyway, my blood sugars started rising to much higher levels. I was staying around the 8-11s for a lot of the time. My wife urged me to be cautious with increasing my dose, asking me to do it incrementally. I agreed to this, and it turned out that in the end I did not need a massive hike in dose. I started off at 12 units, and over a few days increases this to 14. This is the dose I am now on, and my fasting blood sugars are staying in the 5-6 range.

Do me, the most exciting effect Tresiba is having is on my dawn phenomenon. Previously, my Lantus would be unpredictable. On the same breakfast (cheese and pepper omelette) I could rise into the 8s and 9s, or sometimes drop into the 3s. Now, my blood sugars seem to constantly rise, but only by a small amount. Since things settled down, 6.7 is about the highest they have gone after breakfast. I am also finding that my blood sugars are staying pretty much constant throughout the night, which is nice! It's still early days, so I am keeping my finger very much on the Tresiba pulse for now.

Despite my breakthroughs with Tresiba, I have not had an excellent couple of weeks. I went for my annual retinal scan a few weeks back. Usually, after this I get a letter through which says that I have a but of background retinopathy. This time though, I got a letter from the ophthalmology department of the hospital. It informed me that an appointment had been made for me at the end of April. For an hour or two, the bottom dropped out of my world. I assumed that this meant that my retinopathy was progressing in spite of my efforts to control my diabetes. The next day, I got the letter from the retinal screening people. Sure enough, it said that my scan indicated further attention was needed and that an appointment had been made for me. It would have been nicer if these letters had arrived the other way round, but there it is. I phoned the hospital to get more information. They couldn't give me any information over the phone, but the nurse I spoke to did reassure me. She said that it was likely that my scan had been graded, and had just tipped into the band of 'needs further assessment.'

As usual, I had a chat with my wife, who did a lot to help me. She pointed out that my eyesight is good, so if I do need treatment, it will be preventative at this stage. Also, the best way to avoid further complications is to control blood sugars. I am already doing this. In all likelihood I will retain my sight throughout my life providing I maintain my current course.

Now, it's Easter! This will be my second one on a low carbohydrate diet. I will be having chocolate, Yorkshire puddings and other goodies. All with a low carbohydrate twist of course :). Thanks to this forum, I found out about 100% chocolate bars from Hotel Chocolat. I will be enjoying one of these over the course of the day. I will also be making Yorkshire puddings using ground almonds, coconut milk and eggs. Tasty!

That's all for now dear readers. I hope you have a pleasant Easter, and don't eat too much chocolate! (It's tempting I I know, but you can be good :)).
HazelD likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook