1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Entry Number 19: The eye appointment.

Published by Charles Robin in the blog Charles Robin's blog. Views: 656

In my last blog entry, I mentioned that after my retinal screening, I had been given an appointment with the hospital opthalmology department. Well, that appointment happened this morning! I shall give the thrilling account of what transpired.

I was apprehensive about this one. I had built it up in my mind over the last few weeks, so I went in bracing myself. The first thing they did was check I could read the chart on the wall, and then they put some more drops in my eyes. Apparently I needed to have more photos taken of my retinas. Well the first thing I can say is, clearly there are different qualities of eye drops. These ones hardly stung at all, and did little to blur my vision. However, they enlarged my pupils enough for the photographs to be taken. I had to wait for about 15 minutes while the drops took effect, and I learned amazing things in this time. There were two old ladies sitting next to me in the waiting room. They were blumming amazing at crosswords! I heard them reading out some of the clues, and I firmly believed that one would need to be Alan Turing to solve them. They just plucked the answers out of the air. 'Figuratively speaking, no horse working. Oh, that'll be a nonagon!' My mind was officially blown. Anyway, I digress as usual.

After all tests were complete, I went in to see the eye doctor. And she had... DUN, DUN DUN... some good news :). Apparently my retinopathy was what she described as 'background or less,' and my vision was excellent. My right eye had nothing at all to worry about. However, my retinal scan had picked up something on my left eye, and the retinal scan folks decided it warranted further looking at. Apparently the opthalmology department have more fancy scanning devices, which can do 3D scans and all sorts. The tests revealed that I do have a small amount of maculopathy in my left eye. However, she said at this point it was something that warranted monitoring (She seemed very careful not to say that they would 'keep an eye' on it). Apparently it's something that could just go away on its own, and that there was no treatment necessary at the moment. She told me that I was doing well, and that she wished everyone took the measures that I did in order to keep their diabetes in check. I have to go back and see them in 4 months, but so long as I keep my blood sugar levels stable, hopefully I can make sure that things don't deteriorate. So for now at least, it's all good!

Thanks for counting yourselves as readers, and stay tuned for my next entry. Honestly, I have no idea when that will be or what it will discuss, but when the situation warrants I shall divulge further intriguing details about myself.
  • JAY1JAY1
  • Charles Robin
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook