1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Entry Number 20: Checking in

Published by Charles Robin in the blog Charles Robin's blog. Views: 666

Wow, talk about a lapse. I last updated this thing in April last year. No time like the present to correct things, I guess.

Over the last few months, I've been busy! My last post contained some cautious optimism about my eye appointment, and that it turned out that slight maculopothy was not the end of the world for my sight. Well, I've had another appointment since then. Still got a bit of that pesky background retinopathy, but my maculopathy has cleared up. I'm back to 0 on that particular scale, so yay! Good control for the win.

My control's generally good, but it decided to rebel today. 5.4 when I awoke, it kept rising through the morning. Normal omelette for breakfast, yet 8.6 afterwards. I was cautious about a correction dose, as I had to cycle for 90 minutes to go and teach the piano this morning. I got back and I was 11. I don't usually get double figures so boo! I injected my Tresiba further down my leg than usual last night, maybe it didn't absorb properly. Current status: monitoring the situation.

Big news, I had an operation! It was huge, massive amounts of surgery, really dramatic. Ok, that's an exaggeration. I've had a sebaceous cyst on my scalp for the past half decade (It appeared about the time David Cameron first became prime minister, coincidence?), and I decided to get it removed. a whole 15 minute operation and 2 stitches. Gasp and horror. Anyway, it's gone, so maybe the conservative government will go away too now. I'll move on from politics before I open a horrifying debate here.

I realised I've been doing the low carbohydrate diet for more than two years now. So glad I found out about it. With diabetes more or less where I want it, I've found I have more energy for other things. I may have mentioned this before, but I'm writing a fantasy book! I participated in and won NaNoWriMo in 2014 and 2015, now I'm trying to turn my rough drafts into something worth reading. Important note; to win NaNoWriMo, you just have to get to the word count of 50,000 words. If you win, your prize is that you just wrote the first draft of a novel.

I hid from my 2014 effort for a whole year, just filling in some backstory but not actually focusing on the rewrite. That has changed this month. I have finally started writing a second draft in earnest, aiming for 1000 words a day. It's the 16th of February and I have a little over 16,000 words, so I'm on track! I've actually only done about 650 words today, I'm intending to crack on once I've finished this blog post. I'm hoping to have the 2nd draft finished by the end of July. Do 1st third of it this month, 2nd third in April, final third in June, tie up loose ends in July. Then I'll work out what the hell to do with it next. In all honesty this will probably end up as something I do for myself, and it will never grace the eyes of a publisher, but never say never.

I've also had some other small creative writing triumphs in the last few months. I started entering a weekly short story competition on www.hourofwrites.com. So far I've entered 7 times. Of those, one was a runner up, and two were winners :). I wrote one about diabetes but it didn't win, boo!

So to sum up: Eyesight currently going well, diabetes in a pretty good place, creative writing happening. Hopefully I'll make another blog post while the year still claims to be 2016. Thanks for reading!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook