1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

EXTENDED FASTING ...SHOULD I FAST OR SHOULD I NOT

Published by brassyblonde900 in the blog brassyblonde900's blog. Views: 850

I tried fasting earlier in the year...it was a disaster.
My liver believed I was having a faceoff with a pride of starving lions.
I honestly believed at some point, it was on par to out produce Tate & Lyle.
It must have thought it needed to give me energy, so that I could deal with the danger, it perceived I was facing.
I remember getting a reading of 8.5mmol/l on day 5 of my water only EF, and had to halt the fast there and then.

Fast forward to recent months.
I have been doing IF. (18/6 never been a breakfast person)
FBSL is in a very acceptable place
Post Prandial readings are good too

My issue is, I am finding my obsession with sweet stuff coming back..Thanks to Xmas.
So far I am able to rationalise my mind out of wanting all the Xmas stuff I see around me.
I am also well aware, that I can be delusional, and I can rationalise pretty much anything once it comes to sweet, carby food.
c'mmn!! I love Baileys and at £10 a 1L bottle in Asda at the moment, its hard to resist
ditto all the sugary baked goods.
I doubt I would ever look upon sugar as nothing but pleasing to my taste buds.

Now to fasting
I know it would give me the breather I need, to not delude myself that I would get that Baileys, and not polish it off before Xmas.
I know it will focus my mind on the noble art of taking ketone and Blood glucose values, and the holy grail of GKI
I know that it will re-energise my quest for health and well being and Autophagy
I know I am beginning to be bored with the whole BG test thing, now that I am guaranteed to be in the Dr Richard K Bernstein 'Normal' BGL.

I have been mulling it over and over and over and over.
I am thinking of the Pros and Cons, and how it did not go well last time.
I am also well aware that this time around, a lot has changed about my state of diabetes control.
My journey puts me at normal BG levels these days, as opposed to where I was during that EF.
My fasting levels are good ditto my post prandial levels.

I want and need a new focus....fasting appears quite desirable at this point.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook