1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fasting seems to be the last piece of my diabetes control puzzle

Published by Metabolism_Boss in the blog Metabolism_Boss's blog. Views: 790

I tried restricted eating as a means of controlling my blood glucose (BG) soon after I was diagnosed with diabetes, and after some initial success my BG started to rise to the point where I decided that it was not for me. Since that time I have learned many lessons on my diabetes control journey. In my case, as a TOFI diabetic I found that it was difficult to get control of my BG, and my diabetic nurse had warned me of this, saying that I would not see the response that obese diabetics see when they lose weight. Nevertheless I started experimenting with my diet and found that I did pretty well on low carb, moderate protein, moderate to high fat and high green food and my HbA1c fell from 108 to 64 at my next appointment. I also found that my BG shot up when I exercised, but I had the confidence to carry on, as I had read the Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training book. Over time, my muscles built up and started to take the strain when my BG went up due to strong emotional responses and then my BG began to stay normal when I exercised. This levelling out of my BG by these two means of control meant that I had an HbA1c of 45 at my last visit. My diabetes nurse was so pleased with these consistent falls in BG levels, but I said that I felt that I was unlikely to get much lower as I was on a very low carb diet and was doing a lot of exercise every day.

After some thought, I decided that I would give intermittent fasting another go. I read the Diabetes Code, and instead of a restricted eating pattern, I bit the bullet and tried a 36-40 hour fast twice a week -and boy did that work! My fasting BG in the morning is now never more than 5.5 and I've been doing two 36-40 fasst a week for six weeks with no changes in BG stability. For me it seems that the sequence of control; diet and then exercise and then fasting was the key to normalising my BG levels. The diet seems to have enabled me to cope with the fast and the muscle development seesm to have helped with the stress when I go through a "hungry" patch. My BG levels stay in the normal zone throughout the fast and beyond, when I start eating again. I am really hoping that I have found the means of controlling my diabetes and that now I have a routine I can push it into the background of my life.

I hope that my experience has shown that it is worth trying different things until you hit upon the control formula that works for you.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook