1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Feeling dismal

Published by Resurgam in the blog Resurgam's blog. Views: 407

Every year just before Christmas I feel a bit low - it is, I think due to the death of my grandmother just before Christmas back in 1957 - we had lived with my father's parents for about 5 years, and I had spent a lot of time with my grandmother as my mother had my two younger siblings and the house to run.
She died from the complications of diabetes, untreated for the most part, as the family simply did not understand what she should eat, or drink.
I did not understand that she had died, as she had been in and out of hospital all the time we'd been living there, so I assumed that she would be coming back. I was only six years old at the time, so it isn't all that surprising. It was not for some years that I happened to be in the room when my father explained to someone what had happened, and I understood the circumstances.
  • Enclave
  • Diakat
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook