1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fighting Insulin Resistance!

Published by CHIET1 in the blog CHIET1's blog. Views: 594

I have been battling insulin resistance now for many months. I don't quite know what caused it, maybe eating too much fat, maybe eating too much protein, maybe stress, maybe sleep, maybe my reduced carb intake?? So many possibilities and no definitive answers!

Almost four months ago, my first child was born. It was amazing and he is doing great and I thank my lucky stars that he is doing well and getting bigger every day! In latter part of my wifes pregnancy, my sleep was disrupted due to the normal difficulties that women have sleeping at night in latter part of their pregnancy, e.g. finding a comfortable sleeping position, baby kicking at night etc... and this also affected my sleep. Following the birth, of course this meant it has been very difficult to sleep right through each night, particularly at the beginning. So again, my sleep has been badly impacted. Of course I am not complaining, I wouldn't change things for the world, having a child has been the most amazing experience in my life so far. However, I do feel that as a result of the disturbed sleeping pattern, my stress/perhaps cortisol levels are higher and this could be in part driving up my insulin levels and also part of the insulin resistance problem! My wife and son are currently visiting family in our home country and I have noticed since they left that my morning blood sugar/fasting blood sugar readings have improved significantly! I mean in the past 6 months, a reading in the morning below 6.0 mmol/L has been rare. In the last week they are well below 6.0 mmol/L and some below 5.0mmol/L. Coincidence ? I think there may be something in it as I have been sleeping much better and certainly feeling less stressed.

My wife and son return soon, which I am very much excited about! I am also keen to see how my blood sugar and insulin resistance will react and if my theory will be correct. If it is correct, I may have to camp out in the spare room for a while! :-(
  • bandas
  • CHIET1
  • bandas
  • CHIET1
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook