1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fried

Published by Squire Fulwood in the blog Squire Fulwood's blog. Views: 233

I was reading a thread this morning where posters said that they were never asked about food, were told not to test since they would get sore fingers. It reminded of an incident from a few years ago.

BACKGROUND: I like KFC but was not sure if it was harmful to D2's so I looked up their nutrition table on the web site. I was very pleased to see that if you only had the original recipe chicken then it was acceptably low in carbs. That was enough for me since it's the original recipe that I like, the ones with bones in. I didn't look up the other stuff but found with my meter that the fries were best avoided.

So, fast forward a bit and I went to the surgery for the foot tickling. The nurse involved is very professional apart from sometimes when she gets a bit stressed. During the testing she asked what I was going to have for lunch and I truthfully replied that I was thinking of KFC. This was a mistake.

She drew herself up into nagging posture and said that it was not a good idea. I asked what the problem was and she said that the clue was in the name.

I don't think she objected to chicken or Kentucky so I reasoned that she was worried about the fried word. This is a classic case of preaching dogma with no evidence to back it up. Fried = fat so it is bad and you get a pushy nurse in your face. It's a knee jerk reaction. It's a prepared food, is fried, so is bad when the nutrition table says otherwise.

The knee jerk reaction does not only apply to that very nice nurse since I see that PHCUK, in their resources section have a familiar looking bucket in the to be avoided section. Has anyone actually looked it up.

https://phcuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/The-Real-Food-Lifestyle-Patient-Booklet-Low-Ink.pdf

https://brand-uk.assets.kfc.co.uk/2020-08/nutrition-26082020.pdf
zand likes this.
  • Goonergal
  • Squire Fulwood
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook