1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Healthy Debate.

Published by Guzzler in the blog Guzzler's blog. Views: 557

I am not a great debater, I don't have the mental acuity for it. I do enjoy the process, though. Debating in text does have its drawbacks but the principles are the same, the rules remain the same. Never let the discussion become an excercise in ad hominem sleights, make point and counter point and try not to stray away from the subject matter. There is room for some lighthearted banter at the close of a debate but this should never be used to bully a point across and never, never be part of a clique that that continuously agrees with itself for the sake of it.

I consider having an open mind to be a great asset, those who become bogged down in dogma are doomed to a life lived in a very small echo chamber and later to have the epithet of being one of the 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks' brigade. This is where healthy debate comes in, it is a great learning tool that in the past was considered worthy of its own slot in the school time table.

Sadly, I have seen many a promising discussion descend into accusation, insult and flounce because some people are unwilling or unable to take the view that an opposing opinion may have some merit. A sign of maturity is to be able to disagree with another's viewpoint only after fully understanding their take on a particular subject.

Stay well, folks.
  • brassyblonde900
  • Guzzler
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook