1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Heliocobacter Pylori

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 1021

Before my diagnosis and during my hypo hell years, my health was struggling, I believe that if I hadn't got my diagnosis, I would be just a loving memory to my nearest and dearest.
I had health issues with all my organs and my frequent visits to my GPs, so many, to get answers to my issues, so so many issues, that I was often considered a hypochondriac.
I had been told by many doctors that I needed to lose weight and exercise, to eat a diet healthy for someone with type two diabetes, a certain amount of carbohydrates that had low GI values, such as porridge for breakfast, baked potato and baked beans for lunch, then protein with vegetables and balanced with low GI carbs such as wholemeal bread for dinner, to not have snacks.
My doctors also told me that using my glucometer was only necessary if I knew my blood glucose levels were too high. Well as you can guess what happened.
I ramble on, it was thinking back, a recipe for disaster.
So along with my normal moans about how I was always tired and that there something going on aside from my diabetes. I had terrible problems eating, my stomach was in turmoil, I was continually burping and heartburn, with acid problems and of course, the other end, diahorea and piles! Flatulence was my constant companion!

My doctor suggested an endoscope.
Why not I said!

So off to the hospital for what turned out to be a bit of an adventure.
You have to fast for these things, so I did!
I was trollied in, the high tech equipment was something synonymous with sci fi. The technician asked if I needed a general anaesthetic or not. I elected for not.
I asked if I could watch on the big screen, I'm not squeamish, I like this sort of entertainment.
It was arranged and I was given the anti gagging meds and relaxed as much as I could.
It was a disaster.
The procedure had to be stopped because the camera got smeared with food residue on the way down. It was all for nought. I was upset, he blamed me for eating and wasting hospital and his time. He was rude and antagonistic towards me, as I lay there doped up and unable to respond to his tantrum.
Back home to an interrogator that the Gestapo threw out, the wife tutted and accused me of being a complete buffoon and teasing me about my considerable amount of **** ups and disastrous consequences.

Two weeks later, I was back at the same hospital, same room, different technician and nurse, same anaesthetic and a longer fasting period, the wife threatened to withhold food for a month if I didn't get this right!
It wasn't my fault!
Was it?
Hooray, a successful procedure!
The insides of me are much more interesting than the outside.
This time the voyage around my stomach was enlightening, the technician gave me a blow by blow commentary on my digestion system. He took samples and found some interesting things. Well that was the idea of the procedure!
Hiatus hernia confirmed and a few ulcers, though non infectious. All were subject to biopsies. Didn't feel a thing!

The diagnosis letter arrived a few days later.
Heliocobacter Pylori confirmed. And an invitation to visit my GPs again for a prescription for an antibiotic.

Ok, so here is the lowdown.
Two Australian doctors were convinced that the cause of many ulcers were bacteria such as the heliocobacter pylori. It is not good bacteria! And as a bacteria is should be susceptible to antibiotics.
But no one in the scientific community believed them.
So one of them caused to have himself the bacteria inserted into his stomach and then took the treatment.
It was successful and subsequent trials were also successfully obtained.
They got themselves a Nobel prize. And a lot more funding.

My prognosis was successful as well, the course, there was two and other meds to change my biotic balance, cured my heliocobacter pylori, I love saying it!
My hiatus hernia repair was successful. This was done by not having carbs after diagnosis.
And after diagnosis, I wasn't type two! My organs became healthier and my weight diminished. My piles gone and no loosening of the bowels!
And the diet and the poisonous foods recommended by my GPs and dieticians were truly dumped for a really healthy diet for me!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook