1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How To Be Positive About a 'Positive Diabetes' Diagnosis

Published by positivediabetic in the blog positivediabetic's blog. Views: 555

Having been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in March 2016, my GP recommended starting me on Metformin immediately. However, in the few days between receiving the results of the blood test and seeing the GP, I was fortunate to discover the Newcastle University Research Study which highlighted the positive benefits and potential to 'reverse' diabetes through a low carb diet and rapid weight loss.
I asked my GP to allow me 3 months to try and control the Diabetes with a lifestyle change instead of jumping straight into a medication regime and my transformational journey began....
Although I didn't follow the very strict 600 calories regime detailed in the study, I did completely transform how and what I was eating and massively reduced my carbohydrate intake. Within 3 months, I'd lost a stone in weight and my readings had dropped from 60 to 48 which I was told was back in pre-diabetic status. I've lost a further 10 lbs and am due to return for more blood tests which I'm hoping will show continued improvement... I'll 'keep you posted'...
In the meantime, if you want to read more about my story, pop across to my blog: https://brilliancewithin.com/2016/11/28/how-to-be-positive-about-a-positive-diabetes-diagnosis/
I also have recipes/photo's of some of the delicious meals I've cooked along my 'low carb' journey, many of which are from Michael Mosley's 8 week Blood Sugar Diet book which was an early discovery in my journey and inspired me greatly!
I can honestly recommend anybody who is recently diagnosed (or longer term diagnosed) to give the low carb diet a try. For me, the diagnosis inspired a whole life transformation, including setting up my blog Brilliance Within, which has been an incredibly positive journey...
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook