1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I AM SO GRATEFUL I GOT A DMT2 DIAGNOSIS.

Published by brassyblonde900 in the blog brassyblonde900's blog. Views: 525

For Most of My Adult life, I had struggled with my weight.
I tried everything. Well everything but Low Carb. And they worked, that was until I could no longer stand the relentless and savage hunger pangs.
I controlled my Calories, weighed my food, cooked from scratch, followed the standard dietary guidelines of low fat, low calorie, high carb.
I did lose weight, but sadly found that due to a runaway appetite and what I now realise are metabolic issues associated with being carbohydrate intolerant,
I had hunger pangs that had me in despair.
I would then give up. The pain was too much and made the whole effort untenable. I would go back to my normal eating regime which meant I was overeating carbohydrate and would regain all I would have lost with that effort.

At some point I was 267lbs and standing at 5'2" even with my hands in the air, I was getting scared of having a Heart attack any day.
In June 2014, I was diagnosed with DMT2, and knew I had to control my Carb intake, if I am to have any reasonable chance at staying alive.
I cook well and thanks to all my previous effort at weight loss, I also knew how and where to find the nutrient value in foods.

I began my quest to normalise my blood glucose.
I made the decision to keep it simple.
I also made the decision to get my carbs from only green leafy vegetables.
Not too long into my new way of eating I was losing weight and was satiated.
I made delicious sauces to go with my vegetables and I loved my meals and looked forward to them.
Amazingly, I was no longer hungry all the time. I had to remind myself to eat.
I went online and began researching why I was no longer losing my mind from hunger pangs, and still losing weight.

They gave a name to my 'bogeyman' Hyperinsulinaemia
The Penny dropped.
There was so much information, my aha moments were like Guy Fawkes night ...my brain was almost exploding.
I then realised the role insulin had been playing with my inability to control my weight.

I made the decision to unwrap the layers of adipose matter that had wrapped itself around my viscera, and give ears to my cells so it could hear my
insulin calling.
I walked, walked and walked, When I first started, everybody on earth was faster than I was, and overtook me. I couldn't care less. I was a woman on a mission. I knew without a doubt that with each step, I was gradually unwrapping and untangling the web of adipose matter that was stopping my body from harkening to the call of my beleaguered beta cells.

As I lost the weight and consequently normalised my blood glucose, I look back with gratitude for the gift of my diabetes diagnosis.
I have no doubt that I could have had a Heart Attack by now.
My Youngest brother who was in no way as heavy as I was, Dropped Dead at age 40 from a heart attack.
I knew if I did not get my weight in check, it would only be a matter of time before I had my own heart attack.

With my renewed interest in health, wellbeing, risk factors, etc, I am no longer a sitting duck.
Having diabetes has empowered me. Given me the zeal to educate myself about how and why things are how they are with my body.
I have found knowledge and information on how I can control and influence outcome.
For that, I am eternally grateful for having been fortunate enough to get the diagnosis of DMT2
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook