1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I know I shouldn't feel like this

Published by Resurgam in the blog Resurgam's blog. Views: 252

I was talking to my sister, and her daughter is married to a type one diabetic.
Not for the first time the family went out together and suddenly everything had to be stopped, they needed to treat a hypo - but the diabetic had nothing with him, so everyone was looking for sweets or a shop, they had to abandon everything planned for the day, get back to the car, drive to where they could buy a drink - and then a meal and then wait to see what the BG level was and then there was an injection of insulin required so back to the car and wait and check - and by then it was too late to do anything and so they went home.

I know very well that a hypo can happen at any time, but as my sister said it is every time they want to go out, they have to wait until half the day has passed before leaving, and then there is some emergency - this time it was no hypo treatment, last time it was no insulin so they could not stay out and have a meal but had to drive home.

It seems that he gets into a panic when things go wrong, yet makes no plans for his own safety - he also gets really angry when questioned - my sister asked if he had his insulin with him this time, as he did not have it with him on their last trip out, and said that he was very short with her. He really is not a man at peace with himself.
Freema likes this.
  • Freema
  • Resurgam
  • SockFiddler
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook