1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Imperial, forever?

Published by Guzzler in the blog Guzzler's blog. Views: 484

I have always used Imperial measurements, I am of a generation whose knowledge of the Metric system is poor to very low. Whenever I try a new recipe I start by converting the weights from grams to ounces. I want to know my height and weight in old money. I can visualise miles but a kilometre could be the next street away or the next county.
However, I have got into the habit of reading labels recently and as they are all in this new fangled, metric measurement I am slowly beginning to be able to visualise millilitres. I am still unsure about fluid oz converted to millilitres but the difference in oz and fl oz is very small so I have not searched it (do not need to muddy the waters any further!).
Why then, oh why do we still use both systems in this country? Wouldn't it be better to have one system and be done with it? We still order timber in feet and inches but the merchants measure it in meters and centimetres. We tell our loved ones that the new arrival is 7lb 4oz but the midwife records the birthweight in grams. If you tell me you are 88kg I have no idea if you are even an adult let alone thin/slim etc.
I will, no doubt, cling to my Imperial weights and measures like a hungry dog clings to his bone but.... Come on Britain make your mind up!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook