1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I've lost control again

Published by Ajax in the blog Ajax's blog. Views: 469

I roughed out a plan to treat myself to an all-day breakfast sarni + a medio Caffé Mochabetic at lunchtime ..on one machine I was running an intricate multi-physics problem and on the other browsing the internet for riding macs.

At 11:30 I had rapid-onset abdominal pain ..and had a film of sweat on my face ..it is difficult to phrase my mental state at that time ..but I believed myself to be in serious trouble ..and instinctively left the room where I'd been by myself and moved down the corridor ..an academic colleague printing a document didn't look round ..but asked if I had a ✻bad back✻ (I was walking with a stoop) ..near the double doors I then grabbed some railings ..then he and another colleague who I had never much liked came to my rescue ..by which time I was rambling and apologising for being ✻a nuisance✻

They decided I should go to A&E and called some folk from Security to arrange this.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror in the elevator on the way out of the complex ..my face looked troubled ..I looked like a Victorian mugshot of a crook ..and I kept repeating how sorry I was this had happened.

It was surreal standing on the right side of the blue line in A&E waiting for my name to be called ..the lecturer who had come with me in the taxi to the hospital ..showed me messages popping up on his mobile from other folk at work wishing me well ..it really was humbling how folk were rallying round like this.

At 12:30 I was on a trolley in a gown having just given a reading of 7.9 mmol/L ..my BP was 138 over ✻something✻ ..and I had a number of other blood samples taken ..and a scan of my belly area with gel and probes.

It was quite lonely laying in a curtained-off area with stomach pain ..but this evaporated at 14:45 ..I called out to use a phone ..and a Pastor in a bright green top came to speak to me ..it was a comfort ..in a Radio 2 ✻Good Morning Sunday✻ sense ..she offered to pray for me ..but I declined this ..the old heathen I am ..even though I always carry an olive wood cross in my overalls top pocket ..the ✻paradox✻ I am.

I left the hospital at 18:50 and made my own way home.

On the next Monday ..I had a telephone appointment with my GP ..he said the hospital tests showed all my values to be in the ✻normal✻ range.

The episode had nowt to do with my medication either, apparently.

My own feeling is that my diabetes is ✻implicit✻ in what happened to me ..although there is no medical evidence to prove this ..it doesn't mean this wasn't the reason why.

When I returned to work ..I took with me some chocs and Thank-you cards for the blokes ..some friends-for-life now ..and found my machines still to be logged in ..✻Marie Celeste✻ stylee.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook