1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Latest Results are in and they're Grrreeeeat!

Published by masonap in the blog masonap's blog. Views: 315

Had a surprise last week... went to the Dr for results of blood tests, including vitamin B12 & D (both a a bit on the low low side), and my HBA1c was 4.9! The best I've ever had, and I'm trying hard to keep it that way. I've been T2 for over 15 years (on tablets) but on insulin for just over 12 months and it was a bit of a wake up call!!!!

Over the last 6 months I've given up as much carbohydrate as possible without being stupid, lunch time is difficult so weekdays I usually have 2 brown rolls (30g carbs each) but I've now virtually given up potatoes too, and I can't remember the last time I had rice or pasta, but I did have 1/4 of a Pizza the other week and my readings afterwards seemed to be OK (at least no big spike, which must be OK). Breakfast is difficult, I used to have two med/large bowls of breakfast cereals because it was quick and easy but I'm currently living in Germany so I've been trying the typical 'German' breakfast of cheese, meats, cucumber, egg, tomato, but no bread (which is difficult as I don't feel full afterwards). I've mostly avoided the fruit and yogurt in the mornings because of the carbs and natural sugars. Most mornings I also have one very small bowl of cereal because I just can't give it up. On the subject of giving things up of course I've given up Jaffa cakes, Chocolate digestives, custard creams, pasties, sausage rolls, pork pies, doughnuts and all cakes and sweets, though I do allow myself a couple of squares of 70% dark chocolate most days (2 squares = 8g carb/sugar).

Right now I do feel quite good, the main problem I have is neuropathy in my toes and I really don't know what to do, except to keep my blood sugar levels as low and as stable as possible... anyone any suggestions?

Thanks
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook