1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Learning to use a Water Pick

Published by Metabolism_Boss in the blog Metabolism_Boss's blog. Views: 83

After my dentist said that I needed to do more to keep my dental plaque under control, I had a think about what I could try to help the problem. As I clean my teeth after every meal and use floss (albeit carefully around my crowns) at night, I felt at a bit of a loss. A bit of research unearthed information on using a water pick. This sprays a jet of water which is directed at the gum line, and removes plaque and debris. I was pleased to learn that it does not loosen crowns. So I ordered one, which arrived last night. After charging it up, I filled it with water and turned it on. Instantly a jet of water as straight and tight as a laser beam shot past my ear. Frantically trying to turn it off, I turned it to pulse mode and then to an even fiercer jet, before finally switching it off. OK, so only turn it on when it is actually in your mouth. I started with the moderate jet and after nearly abrading my gums a few times, I started to use it properly. It was surprisingly good; I tried using floss afterwards and there was nothing left for it to remove. So it looks like the regime will be electric toothbrush, interdental brushes and water pick.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook