1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Magic - The best there can be

Published by nutribolt in the blog nutribolt's blog. Views: 352

I can write a lot about Magic and yet I don’t want to because it brings a finality to the reality that what came in my life just 9 years back is now only in my heart and mind. My baby, my delight, my cuddlebug, my dog Magic truly was a gentle and noble soul who never did hurt a living thing, not even a fly and we have video evidence to that effect.

He was just an extremely happy puppy who transformed into an equally happy and satisfied dog. A dog who knew no bounds for the love he had towards his pack and for the happiness he felt when we were all together. A dog who thought of himself more as a human than a dog and was quite happy to meet other humans but other dogs not so much.

He had big lovely eyes and silky coat which made him look cute and that was his weapon of choice and his secret superpower to rule our minds and hearts. It was with those beady eyes that he looked at us to manipulate us into doing all sorts of things for him, be it opening the door to his favourite garden umpteen number of times, sneak him a treat here and there or even getting his preferred route on walks. He had these 180 degree about turns in his arsenal that made him look so adorable while also letting us know the direction he wants us to take on the walk. It's not to say we were vulnerable against his charm offensive all the time. We had over the years learnt how not to give in to his whims all at once but give in we did eventually if not immediately and Magic was nothing if not persistent and perseverance was the virtue he possessed in abundance.

Another one of his quality was how he was so effective at time management and had specific times of day allocated for three of us. Mornings for mommy, after schools for his human sister, evenings for daddy and night time again for his human sister. Any disruption to this schedule was met with tremendous amount of pressure to restore order and pressure was again applied by putting to work the skills he had honed to perfection which were mainly using his cuteness to maximum effect by pawing at person of interest while speaking in a tone that will melt even the most stonehearted so what chance did any of us really had against this master manipulator.

He was also a very caring character and displayed his concern in his own ways for each of us; be it bringing his stick to me when he saw I was suffering with stomach ache, or sleeping next to his sister for moral support while she finished her homework or just give silent cuddle to mommy when she heard the traumatic news of loosing her daddy. He was not human but understood us humans better than any other human we know of, three of us included.

Oh and before I forget, he also knew that daddy was the weakest link while sister was one tough cookie when it came to breaking us for sneaking treats.

His strategy with food was eat first what you like best and not to save it for the last in case there is no space left in tummy later although we never really saw that happening but hey one cannot be too cautious in matters of food.

Same was his approach to life and so he finished the best bits quickly and lived in the moment and while he perfected this art, we learnt a little bit from him too and will keep that philosophy close as we continue on this journey of life to ensure that when he does return to us in another body we are better prepared to handle his whims.

So we have now established Magic was a non-violent caring character with loads of perseverance who was also an expert at manipulating us humans but the one thing that made him the best there can be was his absolute unwavering, unconditional love uniformly distributed across all three of us.

He played no favourites. He would make each of us feel equally important and if I understood his thought process correctly he associated security with daddy, careful nurturing with mommy and playing fun and games with sister.

Yeah, for last 9 years he gave us a lot of happy and joyful memories but true to his nature and only so he does not make any kind of memories feel left out, while going away he balanced it all out with memories of sadness while filling in hope that he will return to us soon enough. We will wait for him but we know he won't be long as he just can't stay away from his pack for much longer than is absolutely necessary.

Just to fast track the return, here's daddy calling him...

Magic, come on boy!!!
Come on, come on, come on...
kookly kookly...
Good Boy Magic...Good Boy.
  • Beating-My-Betes
  • nutribolt
  • Beating-My-Betes
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook