1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Magical Mystery Tour.

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 744

If you have followed my blog, you would understand that I do a lot of traveling up and down and across our beautiful island, visiting many parts of the football family and the journeys have become more and more interesting as my club have down the league's to our current status of the national league.
We have had some fun losing our way around some really remote grounds such as Forest Green, when the sat nav put us somewhere in the remote parts of the Gloucestershire back of beyond countryside fields. Nowhere near the ground and having to go down a really bouncy back bridal path to come into Nailsworth the wrong way!
Going to places that even the sat nav has trouble with is really fun. Eastleigh near Southampton, put us in a factory car park about a mile away. If you think it's bad, asking a local is funny, especially in and around the M25! You know that the directions are wrong but you just move on praying for a sign.
The driver has missed junctions and having to travel back along the same stretch of motorway, is not fun especially at fifty miles an hour or even slower. Our sat nav put in Maidstone when we were going to Maidenhead! In second best place in our travels must be to Boreham Wood, when the driver mistakenly thought we went down the M40 instead of the M6/M1, that put an extra hour on our journey time through the Watford suburbs and Hertfordshire!
Saving the best until now, the funniest and silliest was our fourth trip to Macclesfield or was it fifth?
Anyway it's motorway to junction 18 (I think) but the junction was closed, so we carried on, nothing to do but get off next junction, Stoke I think, the driver carried on! We eventually came off at Stafford, and somehow managed to get to Macclesfield before one o'clock, good job we left early!
The reason why was the driver said he didn't see any signs for the diversion! I was baffled, and through my urging that we must buy a new sat nav, fell on deaf ears! Our driver has no sense of direction.
So many different tales of taking the wrong road, not reading obvious signs.
He thought that a London club near Heathrow (Bromley) could only be arrived by going across the Dartford toll!
He phoned our chief executive who put him straight!
Okay, I have seen some great places and been to really great traditional football league clubs, but nothing is as good as getting home on a Saturday evening, with a nice hot supper (low carb of course) and a hot cuppa!
But many times, we are later than we thought! Our driver misses the right motorways even when visiting local clubs like Wrexham and Chester, it can't be happening I say as I notice the wrong road! Coming from Torquay, we had to travel through Birmingham because he missed the junction for M6 toll road!
Finding places, such as North Ferriby, Guisley is fun the first time but second and third times seem to be more adventurous, Dover, Ebbsfleet, Barrow, Gateshead look out here we come.
Wonder where we go wrong this weekend as we travel the M25 to Bromley (again)!

Happy travels!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook