1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My big birthday

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 473

This week was my bus pass birthday. I have reached the grand old age of sixty!!!!!!
How do I feel?
I'm really good, life and health is not bad at all! The wife is going through it at the moment and there is always something that needs attention, life goes on!
The wife did her best, bless her! She partied and joined in as best as she could even in pain and discomfort. The grandkids made her smile! She wasn't going to miss my special day.
My children and my grandchildren spoilt me rotten, I'm so lucky to have such a loving family.
We had a big family get together, we had an Indian. It was bloody wonderful. It was a great feast. Plenty to drink as well.
I had my usual meat and salad, with a covering of curry sauce, a poppadum with a touch of mango chutney onions and of course an onion bahjee.
Wasn't I a good boy?
However the daughter had bought a special cake, chocolate fudge!
Guilty mlud! One spoonful with some yoghurt, full fat of course. Well you just have to don't you? It would be wrong to refuse

The big meal ended with my cake(s). Blowing the candles etc and of course singing happy birthday (badly).

I had loads of pressies, too many, they are far too generous. But I do like being spoilt!
They say I deserve it! I'm not to sure! I'm only trying my best! And failing!
I just want them to be happy and look after themselves properly, as would any decent parent. I have always wanted to set an example, I do believe that has rubbed off onto them.

However, my kids had made a huge mistake as my beautiful princess granddaughter (all dressed up in a princess dress from Frozen) enquired where the party bags where?
She was right, the cake and some hastily gathered sweets should be placed in a bag. For everyone to take home. She had a choice of small clear bags or some scented pink ones or the black doggie bags. She chose the pink ones, rather appropriate as it went with the colour of her dress. I believe they were doggie bags as well, but that didn't matter!
So they packed the cake to my granddaughters approval.
Meanwhile playing balloons with the boys was really a great laugh, 3 & 4 & 5 year olds and balloons make great fun.
I am so grateful to my lot for doing this for me.
The house was decorated with style (yeah!) Banners and balloons and glitter. With disco lights and Northern soul and Motown playing softly in the background. They know me so well!
The night ended beautifully for me. One of my best days.

With my footie team ( local amateur u14s) winning in the afternoon winning as well and another cake, cards, cup and pressies as well.

What more can an old fart, (one of my footie kids wrote that)! Or an oap? I'm freaking ancient on one card.!
according to another I'm an old git. Did I witness the flood? The birth of Christ? Was I a war baby? And so on and on!!!
What could I Wish for that's better?

I am so lucky.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook