1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My Diabetic closet and coming out of it...

Published by KookieMunchster in the blog KookieMunchster's blog. Views: 498

So as it happens, I've been keeping mum about my T2D from Mum and she found out when she accidentally called me via Video call today.
I've had my diagnosis since the 25th of February (2019) give or take; and have been sitting on the fence about telling her. It's the sort of thing you want to do in person but given that she is retired in a different country, it's not as easy as driving over for a cuppa; also I hadn't wanted to worry her with it. We loss Dad 6 months prior to Cancer and he had the same; so I wasn't all that shocked that I had it. It's always been plausibly in my 'Jeans' pocket for some time.o_O

It all came out in something of a jumble. Her making a comment about my weight loss and I explaining that the drama of my appearance had little to do with the gym. I tried to assure her that I'm actually the healthiest I've been in a while but I could hear the mental cogs in her mind ticking over across the distance. I imagine that the information will now be disseminated via the family grapevine. Apart from a few rogue branches of said vine, we're not the sort who snoop in each other's lives and tend to carry on in our self contained little spheres of influence.

That is also another reason I delayed informing her. I wanted to have some measure of control over my T2D; some tangible good news about it to share with her when I next saw her (tentatively this July), instead of dropping a bomb of discombobulated facts on her person.

You'd think that she'd be experienced with it given my Dad had T2D, but honestly I don't think she really knows what to make of it. My Dad never talked about his T2D, nor did he ever request anything different to his diet (As far as I'm aware). When he said he'd handle things, it was always with the sole stubborn conviction that he knew best and once that happened - that was that. It was not a topic up for discussion - or maybe we never really asked. I don't know and I find myself feeling reflective about that...:facepalm:

Now that it is completely out there I thought to myself, why not be out here too?

Hi!
I like cookies! Not the sort you get in browsers on the Tinternet.
Turns out, cookies don't like me as much :(
[​IMG]
I am often described as being somewhat Kookie, so that's how I decided on my Pen name.
Too much of a noob still to rattle off figures about my HAB1what?
Yes sadly I didn't know what questions to have asked when they informed me that I had T2D. I have an appointment coming up and this time I'm armed! Maybe then I'll add some personal stats here.
Meanwhile ...
Diawara likes this.
  • aealexandrou
  • KookieMunchster
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook