1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My journey.

Published by alanfromderby in the blog alanfromderby's blog. Views: 391

Okay, here goes!.

It is now 11 days since my official diagnosis of Type 2, and it has been a very steep learning curve.

On that day (26th February 2015) my BG was 26.0. The doctor did a urine test (well she tested some of my urine) and said that there were no keytones - which is apparently good?

She then put me on Metformin 500mg tablets commencing at one per day with the likelihood that I would need to increase, but that would be for the nurse to advise. She then booked me in to see the nurse, and arranged for an appointment with an ophthalmologist due to blurred vision.

The following morning I had some blood tests, then on Monday 2nd March I had my first appointment with the diabetes nurse.

The blood results seemed to be okay, apart from my cholesterol, which was 7.5. My blood pressure test gave a result of 140/110, and a BG test was 17.1 - rather better than the 26.0 a few days earlier.

The nurse said that I would need to get up to four Metformin per day, and she also put me on Lisinopril 5mg, Simvastatin 40mg to reduce my BP and cholesterol.

Finally she checked my weight (127kg) and arranged for me to have an appointment for an ECG.

Today I had another blood test, and will be seeing the nurse, and later the ophthalmologist, next Monday.

Managed to get up to four Metformin pretty quickly as no real issues getting used to them, and my morning readings have been coming down nicely:

5/3/15 - 20.3
6/3/15 - 19.0
7/3/15 - 17.1
8/3/15 - 14.2
9/3/15 - 14.4

After joining this forum, and reading round a bit, I decided to try the Low Carb High Fat approach, and so far so good, it seems to be helping.

Obviously time will tell, but I am certainly in a much better place than I was a week ago. I will be even happier when the blurred vision sorts itself out though.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook