1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My light bulb moment

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 641

I have vivid dreams, I get deja v, I have a weird body!
But every now and then, I get a moment in time when something that changes my outlook on my life or my attention is drawn to an idea that is momentous in my life. A sort of life changing experience!
It usually happens when I'm by myself, walking and thinking things through.
This particular happenstance occurred during my extended fasting test in hospital.
It occurred during my third day, wether it was my brain pleading for food or my body was adjusting to no new nutrition, whatever, I didn't feel hungry or feel like eating the whole cupboard of its contents. Which I used to do a lot! It was on a walk around the hospital grounds during the tea time meal. It was really enlightening, suddenly the fog and anxious thoughts, the numbness in my head, my eyes became clear and the energy that I hadn't been getting from my hypo hell. My smile returned, I was happy, I now knew that I had a future. I realised that I was going to get health back.
The long struggle to get someone who understood my problem and get a real diagnosis. To find out after so long that it wasn't just diabetes, that it was a condition that was going to put me in a coffin sooner than I had planned. The uplifting realisation that I knew how to treat the symptoms I was continually beholden to. That the symptoms would ease dramatically or go completely away. I was giddy with joy!

I knew that a lot of what the experts called healthy foods, were not for me!
I couldn't drink no more.
I had to be sensible (I know) realistic about my food choices, get my head around getting my carbs, protein and fat in the right balance for me.
I had to learn as much as I could and research and plan my way ahead.
To figure out how to shop, cook, clean, chores, and look after the wife as well as go to work.
To alter my lifestyle to my weirdness!
A determination to get complete control and be as healthy as possible.

The light went on in my head. After being off for so long.
A feeling of wonder!
Of happiness!
Of a thrill for life!
Of a future that I am in control of!
My life, my weird life!
My light bulb moment.

Long may it last!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook