1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My Story

Published by Chubster in the blog Chubster's blog. Views: 262

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2007 and basically it’s been downhill since. And I had to go private to get my diagnosis as my then GP didn’t understand what was going on. Once armed with my condition I visited my Family GP who promptly placed me on a concoction of medication and only went back if I had a problem. In 2009 I started to get a lot of pain in my feet this is when I was put on OxyContin 80mg in 2010 my feet we’re getting very swollen and was treated for ‘water on the ankles’ but the swelling persisted my GP sent me to a adema clinic where I was told that I didn’t have anything like an adeama. I was eventually diagnosed with Charcot Arthropathy by my podiatrist and was promptly taken over to the fracture clinic and had both feet put into casts.
Following this my care was transferred up to Kings College Hospital - Diabetic Foot Clinic. Apparently I had been hobbling around my shoe laces being stretched to the point where I couldn’t tie them due to the swelling as I then found out that I had a multitude of fractures in my feet. That was mid 2010.
TBC......
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook