1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Neuropathy...

Published by masonap in the blog masonap's blog. Views: 497

Hello fellow Diabetics... this sounds like an AA acknowledgement! I am a 62 year old male and I've been a type 2 diabetic for at least 15 years. I suspect that I was in a pre-diabetic state for many years previous to the 'official diagnosis'. Mostly the treatment I've received over the years has been metformin and for most of the time my HBA1c has been under 6.0 however about 18 months ago my HBA1c (which had been slowly increasing over the years) suddenly hit 9.0 twice in a row and so I started on insulin injections 3 times a day before meals, and one injection at night just before bed. I also have high blood pressure which I take tablets for but it is mostly under control, I take a daily asprin (heart trouble in the family) and I take a daily Statin tablet.

About a year ago just as I started on the insulin I became aware that my feet were feeling 'strange', I couldn't properly describe how they felt but at different times they were uncomfortably hot, then cold, my heel could be freezing cold but the ball of my foot and my toes were very hot. The underneath of my toes feel like they are 'asleep' and anytime now should be tingling as they 'wake up' but they don't wake up. In bed I don't know what to do with my feet, I can't stand the weight of the bed clothes on my feet, feet inside the bed, feet outside the bed, wearing socks, not wearing socks, change half way through the night etc.

A few months ago I was driving home (fortunately I have an automatic) and all of a sudden I had the most excruciating stabbing pain underneath my left big toe. It was like somebody had taken a red hot needle (the size of a knitting needle) and stabbed me when I wasn't prepared for it. The pain was incredible, it was lucky that I was driving an automatic and didn't need my left foot because I don't know how I would have been able to continue driving at that point. I was in quite severe pain, and my foot was hot and very uncomfortable for about 24 hours afterwards, the only relief I could get was by gently rubbing/massaging my toe and foot.

I don't know if all of this adequately describes to anyone else how my feet feel, I find it difficult, even to get these things through to my Dr. (I'm in Germany by the way and don't speak any German but my Dr does pretty good with English).

Why all this rambling? I want help and advice from the diabetic community who knows and understands these things, and has probably experienced all of this for themselves. As I've discussed this with my Dr she gave me B12 tablets for about 4 months, I've stopped these at the present time as my B12 levels seem to be OK but a bit towards the low end of 'normal'. I then started on Gabapentin 100mg a couple of months ago but this has been increased to 300mg daily. As it is winter I now also take vitamin D daily and expect to do so until about April. In many ways my feet do feel a little better but still not right.

I want to know what everyone else does about exercise, or what advice I can get about the right type of exercise for my feet in particular. I work in an office so apart from the occasional visits to other people, or a trip to the printer I don't really get too much exercise during the day, its even a short distance to the car park so I don't get any exercise there either. I like cycling and I know that's good for the heart and circulation. I like walking and I've recently started walking for up to an hour a day after work and before my evening meal. A good portion of these walks are uphill so it really gets the heart and blood pumping and I have to say that in general I have recently felt a lot better about my feet but they are still 'not right'.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook