1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New ice cream maker for low carb treats

Published by Metabolism_Boss in the blog Metabolism_Boss's blog. Views: 1135

I bought myself an ice cream maker as a Christmas toy. I also sent for some natural flavourings of vanilla, strawberry, cherry, almond and raspberry. The ice cream maker is only small as I don't have very much space in my kitchen. Consequently it is a model that needs the bowl to be kept in the freezer overnight before making the ice cream. I blended 350 ml of single cream with 350ml of double cream and heated it in a saucepan until it was nearly boiling. Meanwhile, I separated three eggs and whisked up the yolks. Once the cream mixture was hot I added 2 tablespoons of erythritol and gave it a good stir and left it for ten minutes to cool. I poured the cream mixture onto the whipped egg yolks and stirrred it to mix. Then I strained the mixture through a sieve into a clean saucepan and heated it carefully unttil it thickened enough to coat the back of wooden spoon. I added a teaspoon of vanilla and gave it a good stir and then poured it into a glass bowl. I covered the bowl and left it to cool, stirring it occasionally to prevent a skin forming. Once the mixture was cold I added it to the ice cream maker. Hey presto! 25 minutes later I had a thickened creamy mass that hardened rapidly in the freezer.

I have tasted it, and I am really pleased with it. As well as plain ice cream, I now have the possibility of desserts such as trifles, with almond cake, sugar free jelly and ice cream. I have a lot of new flavours to try as well, which I am looking forward to.

Attached Files:

• PaulDK
  • Metabolism_Boss
  • PaulDK
  • Metabolism_Boss
  • PaulDK
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook