1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newbie error. Imagine my delight on seeing my first meter blood glucose reading at 5.10... then I realised I was reading the date. Now I have got two days readings and why are fasting levels higher than after first meal?

Published by liza_h in the blog liza_h's blog. Views: 126

My T2 pre-diabetes has been confirmed with the lastest hbc1a blood test with a slightly higher result of 43. My aim is to learn as much as I can about T2 and to try to get my levels to "normal" range.

I have a plant based diet and lowish carb intake. Since my first hbc1a test I've cut out white carbs. I bought a blood testing kit to see if I could find the high spikes in blood sugar, track down the culprits and possibly work on refining my diet this way.

Yes, I struggled to get my first reading and it didn't help that I was reading the date but now I have the hang of it.

I don't eat before midday/ early afternoon and my first test result before eating is therefore a fasting result of 12-16 hours. On the two mornings so far the readings have been at 6.10 & 6.20. I have been surprised to see that two hours after my first meal my blood results have been 5.20 and 5.50. In the evening, two hours after my evening meal, my results are 8.00 and 7.30.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why my fasting results are higher than after my first meal?
  • Diakat
  • liza_h
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook