1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

NORMAL FOOD ...APPEARS TO BE A LOADED WORD

Published by brassyblonde900 in the blog brassyblonde900's blog. Views: 333

I have been endlessly fascinated with the various 'styles' 'manner of approach' and methods employed by different people when it comes to lowering BG and or Medication, reversing IR and staving off complications.
When I read on here and in others places, I am fascinated by how different we all are from each other.

I am immediately aware of that difference when I see how folks deal with their diagnosis
The approach they take to regain their health or stave off complications
It then makes me wonder, really wonder the role of food in society and how we are so emotionally bound up with food and how we see it.
Foods like Rice has no taste in of itself. Foods like Potatoes have little to nothing going for it in the taste department.
How come the fact we can no longer eat it at will without consequences induce such feelings of loss in some?

I remember many a Saturday spent scouring downtown Atlanta for shops that had 'Proper Baked Beans' because my nearest and dearest did not care for the fare they have across the pond which he believed was an imposter, and was nothing like 'British Baked Beans' Never mind that that much is more sugar than beans if truth be told.
It confounds me and still does...
As far as I'm concerned, most foods are an acquired taste.
New tastes can be acquired as required.

Eating foods from other cultures has been an eye opener for me
Not only does it show that there are endlessly fascinating ways of preparing and presenting what I am now able to eat and enjoy
I am also happy in the realisation that there is an infinite amount of taste experience to be had from having an open mind,exploring and venturing confidently into vistas hitherto unknown, when it comes to the world of food.

Having struggled all my life with being overweight and ending up obese in the 10yrs, prior to my diagnosis 4yrs ago, I know my battles are on several fronts.
I am so grateful for the diagnosis of diabetes.
My gratitude stems from the effect of being able to find a way of eating which has enabled me to stay off medication, and also be a healthy weight long term.
A feat that I regard as nothing short of miraculous.

I never lost my taste for sugar, pies, sweet confectionary etc. I never will.
All I did is open myself to a new and varied taste experience, that serves me better, bearing in mind my new normal.

Which reminds me I have a nice warming bowl of Adoboong Kangkong with fried pork to enjoy

Whats not to love about my Normal food.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook