1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

O ~ hunny hunny ~ do do dod doo

Published by Enclave in the blog Enclave's blog. Views: 598

Mrs E here giving an update, Warning Its Not Nice

Hubby has a really unpleasant patch of skin on his leg, the one with the missing vein that was used for his by pass op hundreds of years ago. He had the leg swell with retained water to three x its normal size, now with super strength water tablets the leg is almost back to the normal size. But this has left his skin really fragile, red and a shine on that Mr Sheen would be proud of. We asked his doctor for help in managing the leg, and was told to go to the pound shop and get a hand cream to rub on it ! Well he tried my posh unscented body cream for a few weeks and things have gone down hill. His skin is very fragile and looks like the skin has had bits rubbed off leaving a hole. Another patch is like a green sloppy scab, it did not smell but worried me. So realising we are on our own again as our doctor is not interested, I ordered some Manuka Honey, medical grade, and some bandages. Well the honey arrived the other day, and the green patch on his leg was getting bigger, so we did not wait for the bandage and thinly applied the honey to his damaged skin on his leg. O my word, I am not easily impressed, but the honey is amazing, the bare bits with skin missing have scabbed over and the green slushily area is looking good, firm and stopped spreading. Its very early days but I have high hopes we can stop his leg forming ulcers. The bandages arrived today and I think to say its over the top is an underestimation, they came in a box with four different bandages to layer on over the ulcer, will keep that lot safe and hope we never need to use them.
So now we need to keep a very close eye open for ants and honey bears. Lucky the hounds don't like honey !!!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook