1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Parents of 12 year old with Type 1 Diabetes, a year on.

Published by Ashcar25 in the blog Ashcar25's blog. Views: 616

I don't normally post anything on these blogs, but so many people are living with Type 1 in one way or another i felt i wanted to share our story.

Our son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on 16th October 2015, he was 11 and it was the day things changed forever.
He had suffered from a severe stomach ache, so bad that he had to be collected from school. We took him to the doctor who tested his urine, which had a high glucose level. Next step was a blood test same day and we were told the results would be back by that evening.
Just before six we received a phone call telling us to take him to hospital immediately, his blood glucose level was 44.
The hospital confirmed Type 1 diabetes and i still remember the shock we all felt, but we didn't fully understand what it really meant. They asked if he had had any symptoms but we just thought the drinking loads and going to the toilet were just down to his age. When we think back now i wish we had taken him to be checked sooner.
From then on it was a whirlwind of emotion and activity; being told all about what Type 1 meant and how we treat it, being shown the insulin pens, the two types of insulin, how much to take and when, what his ratios are, how to count carbs; we were bombarded with information which was difficult to take in.
Our son was in a state of denial, " i don't want diabetes" he would say " i don't want to test my blood or inject myself" "i don't want to be different".
He had just started High School, finding his feet, new friends and now living with Type 1.
I remember the doctors and diabetes team telling him that if he didn't show them he could test his own blood and then inject himself that he would have to stay in hospital until he was able to do it. From that point on, he did everything asked of him, although he didn't like finger pricks as his pain threshold is low, he got on with it.
At first we would worry about him being too high, then we would worry about being too low (Hypo) especially at night. He had Hypo symptoms at first while his levels came down and when he tested he would be above 5. This soon sorted itself out and he knows the symptoms of Hypo and treats it immediately.
He doesn't seem to get any symptoms of being high though, which is a constant worry.
His school have been brilliant, allowing him to take time before lunch to do a check and inject and his friends have been so supportive, not making him feel different in any way; they genuinely seem interested in his diabetes.
Christmas was a stress as we found it hard to keep his levels down, in the end we made sure he injected 2 units before he ate then corrected later.
His HbA1C was around 16 when he was diagnosed and on his last checkup was down to 6.5.
He has taken his diabetes seriously for such a young age, he understands he needs to check and inject to stay healthy and that keeping his levels low is a good thing for his long term health.
Everyday brings new challenges especially if he is feeling low about his condition but we work through it and deal with things as they come up.
A year ago we couldn't imagine how things would be in a years time, we have learned so much and feel confident about managing Type 1 as a family; when we don't understand something the diabetes team are just a phone call away.
We never forget that our son has to live with Type 1 everyday, we just help him along the way, support him, love him and be there for him whenever he needs us. We work through each day together and ask him " what was your level this morning, at lunchtime, after PE", "have you had a Hypo today?", "how are you feeling today?" which i am sure he gets fed up with on occasion.
I wanted to write this as i see so many people on this site going through this, either as a parent or someone who has the condition; you are not alone.
I am sure everyone has a similar story to tell.
  • nomoredonuts
  • himtoo
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook