1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Second 24 hour fast underway

Published by jpscloud in the blog jpscloud's blog. Views: 803

Weight: 271lbs

BG on waking: 5.4, through the day: 6.0, 5.0, 4.8

BP: am: (not taken) pm:

Today I'm well into my second 24 hour fast, and I think I will be able to make it this time. It will probably be about 27 hours before I eat today as I'm taking my very dear elderly mum shopping after work. I'll use that opportunity to get some olive oil and coconut oil and coconut milk in.

Low carbing is going better than I expected, and I think this is due to the fact that I am also high-fatting. There is no sense of deprivation and any fear of hunger is disappearing as I get more into it. Well, so far anyway. I am a serial failure at diet and lifestyle changes, so I'm pinning my latest hopes on Jason Fung! I think my failures before were due to the fact that when I thought of a low carb diet, I also thought it had to be low-fat, thanks to conventional "wisdom". That left me feeling deprived in a major way and was never going to succeed.

My carb failing at the moment is crumpets for "breakfast" (by which I mean the first time I eat, now usually around 2pm) on Saturdays and Sundays. I was always (it feels strange saying "was" but I hope it's in the past) a very big eater, so four or six crumpets, with cheese and grilled tomatoes or eggs and bacon (four or five eggs!) was nothing unusual for a weekend meal. It would be the only daytime meal, but then I'd usually overeat at night as well. So far with lchf, though, I've been very surprised at how little I need to eat in comparison. So I have cut that down to two crumpets now, and less eggs, and I might try making my high fibre spelt and rye bread again for a slightly less impactful carb portion instead. I seem to be fine not eating carbs at all at work but haven't cracked home yet. Easy does it.

Today's fast hasn't been quite as easy as the first one though - I am thinking about food more this time, as evidenced by the above! I've been having water, black coffee and green tea. Feeling a little hungry mid-afternoon. Not sure if I can add to this blog later to update on the evening, if not I'll post another one.

Evening meal ("breakfast"): 4 small chicken thighs, 3 crumpets with butter (I was jonesing for those all day after thinking about them!) 2 tablespoons organic no sugar peanut butter, glass red wine, dark cherries and live unsweetened yoghurt, coffee with cream. Just the crumpets I'm regretting a little, and that I didn't have vegetables with the chicken thighs - perhaps that's why I had room for the crumpets. This week has been great though, I really hope I can keep it up.
Chook likes this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook