1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Self-Blame... Don't do it, kids!

Published by luceeloo in the blog luceeloo's blog. Views: 893

Everywhere you look in the media you will see the words Diabetes and obesity intrinsically linked in the same paragraphs. Furthermore, if you happen to view the comments section on any such article, you will see a whole host of angry Type 1’s aggravated over the fact that the media has it wrong… proclaiming that they don’t cause their own diabetes, unlike the dreaded Type 2’s.

This attitude is wrong. Very, very wrong.

We share a disease, we should not be berating each other for how or why we got to where we are today. We need to stick together to help each other deal with daily life living with a chronic disease.

Where do I stand?

I was diagnosed as Type 2. Then there was some hesitation because I didn’t follow a normal T2 pathway and quickly moved from just Metformin on to SGLT2 (sodium-glucose co-transporter 2) Inhibitors which make you urinate excess glucose. That only marginally worked, so we moved on to sulfonylureas (Gliclazide) which served to make me very fat and hungry almost immediately but had little impact on my blood sugars. We’ve been down the route of GLP-1 injections (3 years: no weight loss, no impact on sugars), more SGLT2 inhibitors, Lantus (massive doses needed), Toujeo, and now Novorapid. I have been diabetic for five years and one month, and there are still some uncertainties because I have underlying issues with my pituitary gland which may have created the monster I am today! But, nonetheless, I've spent five years trying to fight and make sense of this disease.
A lot of that time has been spent blaming myself for being fat, lazy, overweight, unable to control my blood sugars, unable to meet the targets set, unable to be the diabetic that my care team want me to be. I’ve read countless articles where the reporter or author has repeatedly referred to Type 2 Diabetes as being a “lifestyle disease”, like we purposely went out and knackered our insulin-producing cells, and a week on the cabbage soup diet would sort us out. This kind of attitude makes us feel ashamed to have this disease and needs to stop.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook