1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

severe reactive non diabetic hypogylaemia

Published by BartnMord in the blog BartnMord's blog. Views: 360

I've had this for over 20 years, getting worse, and can't find the solution. Books frustrate me even more as their definition of it doesn't accord with my experience. They all talk about shakiness and irritability when going without food (don't have) etc. and the value of exercise in controlling (I do plenty of exercise, in fact love it). Also its assumed hard to wake up and get up in the morning. Yet I am the opposite - loads of energy early in the morning.

I simply have strong desire to be active, and do and enjoy gym classes every morning, nothing massive, just an hour pilates or physical yoga type exercises, or 3/4 hour toning class. Feel fine when doing exercises and afterwards but as soon as I eat about an hour after exercise I feel my energy level sinking, eventually exhausted and craving sweet things. The craving and exhaustion is at its peak about 2 - 4 hours after exercise. Usually don't recover - often not recovering the whole day and evening. Sleep it off and still don't feel 100% the next day. Very frustratingly, if I am sedentary don't get these awful symptoms. But I want to exercise. It's only mainly yoga type exercises and pilates I do. The exhaustion is extreme.

Been searching for years - here there and everywhere on the internet and in books. About 10 years ago had the fasting blood sugar test which diagnosed reactive hypoglycaemia (i.e after glucose loads) and a dietician told me what I already know. i.e. eat every 3 hours, low glycaemic diet. However my problem is a vicious circle - I only really crave sweet things 2 or3 hours after exercise i.e. when the hypoglycaemia has come on. If I was sedentary wouldn't get it, but appetite wouldn't come on much either. Cravings are enormous and its then that I eat a lot of carbs to try and stop myself falling asleep with exhaustion (I sleep OK at night).

Left to my own devices I have no appetite in the mornings. If I am moderately active e.g. slowish walking - my appetite would not come on until I had been up 4 to 5 hours. I force myself to eat before yoga/pilates but presumably as there is still not enough inside me I still get the exhaustion. I am probably of average weight - have a little too much fat on me due to overeating carbs when I have gone hypoclycaemic. I would like to be able to eat a lot more for breakfast to test what difference this would make - but who wants to when they want to lose a little weight and are not hungry anyway. When I do eat in the morning it feels like what it would be like eating after a satisfying meal i.e. I really have no appetite.
Someone without hypoglycaemia could eat only a small breakfast or non at all and the correctly functioning insulin mechanism would mean they could exercise without such prolonged and severe exhaustion.

All EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.....................
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook