1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So... I am now a diabetic

Published by RFSMarch in the blog RFSMarch's blog. Views: 475

A little history - I am not from Darkest Peru like my avatar would suggest but my parents hailed from the island of Mauritius. And boy did they enjoy their food. And honestly? So did I.

In 2012 I managed to lose a fair bit of weight, but then landed what many thought would be a dream job as a tennis writer - but this is a sport that is nogh on played every week except in December. The editorial shifts I was on undid all that great routine I had. Then my mother had a stroke, and as I realised she was not coping well, I had no option but to quit and take time out to get her sorted.

All was kinda getting on an even keel and then six days after I returned from covering the Aus Open, she died suddenly.
Her funeral was just 6 days before I flew out to Indian Wells, and then began the 13 week European grind. I started a raging thirst - I only really ever drink fizzies when I am at a tournament, but half way through that week I could tell something wasn't quite right.

Things settled a little before the next couple of weeks, but I was chugging a lot of water in hot countries so thought no more of it! Eventually I noticed I had gone from my heaviest weight to below 11st for the first time in a long while, and then down almost half a stone again.

In the end... in the gap between the clay and the grass I went to the docs, who put me in for a raft of blood tests. The results were high across the board - blood glucose, blood pressure (although that had been elevated since mum died) and high cholesterol.

OK - so now I was told I was officially a Type 2 diabetic. I know my father had insulin injections in his later life, and my mother had been on metformin. I now joined the family firm, so to speak.

Another cousin recommended a Freestyle Libre, one pointed me in the direction of the GI index.

Above all, I stopped giving my all to my website and my business and decided... the mornings HAD to start with a workout. No 'oh I will just update the site'...

Since then BP has come down from High to Pre-High several days in a row.

As for the blood glucose monitoring - I guess I will be hitting Holland & Barrett fairly soon!
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook