1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So I am satisfactory...

Published by Beagler in the blog Beagler's blog. Views: 808

or so the GP has commented. The result of my last HbA1c was a whole tenth down: 6.2 / 44.3. And she has now told me (over the phone and not best pleased that I seemed to want to talk to her) that it wasn't sensible to test more than annually for HbA1c or cholesterol because they didn't change that fast. Checked the price of private testing and it is £150, not something I want to cough up quarterly. And Bella (good friend, good dietician, excellent clinician) has said don't start sticking needles, you will just start developing scarring years before you have to. Thinking about that comment, it's a depressing take on my probable future. I am NOT a good self starter and I NEED a regular test result to keep me reassured that totally altering my lifestyle is actually having an effect. Drat. Await non-invasive blood glucose meter I suppose. Like we are all awaiting clean energy from fusion.

Another and much more interesting point, my athelete's foot has cleared up. Well, interesting to me! I have had persistent mucky skin between my toes for the last several...three??...five??...years, and now all clean and dry. So there is one warning sign for me.

And I think I have spotted another. Yesterday I had a really bad (read naughty/stupid/lazy) day, sitting in front of the computer and doing ****** all. Unable to concentrate, or even think much, tired & lethargic, severe case of CBA. (Can't Be *****). And when I get like that (I usually call it "depressed") I eat. I eat absolutely constantly, and since I have CBA, I eat biscuits, bread & butter, fresh fruit and anything else that comes to hand. And it has just clicked that persistent high carb intake = persistent high blood sugar = "depression" (or lethargy, CBA, whatever name you use). Which also means that "going for a nice walk" if you are "depressed" has rather more of a physiological backing than I realised - not just psychological.

Finally, I am occasionally getting a funny feeling. (don't we all!). I haven't managed to pin it down to any particular diurnal rhythm yet. It's similar to a hunger feeling, roughly between my sternum & my umbilicus, not a pain, more a glow/ache/tingle. Almost certainly a nothing, but I do wonder if it is a "feeling" of high blood glucose. Well, pin it down and consider.

And I am still not losing weight.
  • nomoredonuts
  • Thimbles
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook