1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So much to learn and scared!

Published by Jenny40 in the blog Jenny40's blog. Views: 619

I was diagnosed only a month ago with type 1, wow what a shock that was. I only went to the docs for a routine pill check up!. It has been such a whirlwind since then and I haven't really had much of a chance to let it all sink in.
I have felt low a few times in my mood especially when I am having to check my sugars as I feel 'funny'. I am 39yrs old, work full time in a job I love, have a 15yr old son and also parents where one is currently unable to get around very well! my thoughts when I found out is what I have done to deserve this. My life has now changed and as much as I say to people i'm fine, i'm not, not really. Food used to be fun but now I am feeling that it is not fun anymore, I cannot just got and eat something when I want to, I have to carefully plan everything including nights out.
Just when I think that I am finally getting to grips with it all some other problems rears it's head that I didn't know about, will I ever learn everything. Sugars go high when I am due my period but then today I have the start of a cold and have found that my levels go low, well they are lower than they have been.
My hair is falling out and the other day I was so tempted to just get it all cut off, I managed to tell myself that it will be ok and should sort itself out soon.

My gosh, reading this back and I sound like a right moaner, I just feel really down, I am going through this on my own as I am a single parent and can't put any of this on my 15yr old who is as you can imagine going through his own stuff being a teenager.

Hopefully after the weekend of trying to rest and work through some of this I may be in a better place!
Back soon
  • SockFiddler
  • nomoredonuts
  • leslie10152
  • Me1bee
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook