1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The Music Box

Published by poemagraphic in the blog poemagraphic's blog. Views: 679

The music box

As I am reading I am watching this old music box, I have just gently lifted the lid
The ballerina is turning, the music is playing, however the clockwork mechanism is loudly clanking and the ballerina is crying tears of blood.

On the inside of the lid is a mirror that shows an entirely different image from the one you would expect. The ballerina steps off her pedestal and passes though the mirror into the unforgiving landscape of…. ‘The Bog’

Could this be real? This alternative reality… This nightmare of such epic proportions
Such as the like of which no human has ever seen before.

Slamming the lid shut the ballerina bursts though the dark polished wood as the music builds to a crescendo she sings out of tune words from her desecrated tomb.
The mechanism sounding now like an insidious drumming, as the drummer boy enters though my ear

Three soldiers standing to attention, two flanking the ‘nut cracker’ wise
Bayonets fixed at the ready, sharp and shiny so pointy the ballerina her body to precisely incise.

Now the drumming is growing louder and louder cannon balls starting to fall. Craters appearing on the ground all around me, as the mists of time turn to smoke, slowly rising casting visions in my mind so repugnant, water seeping upwards, startling, gurgling, mixing with the blood and the mud and the flesh and the bones.

Bodies strew, like five sticks engender a memory of childhood so dejectedly broken. Horses smashed to smatterings and smidgens, headless and legless empty saddles there lay, with paint slowly peeling like bark from a dead tree.

My mind can’t stop reeling, regaling, in a cruel form of insidious joy.
A church bell starts clanging, the echo resounding, bouncing back from the depths of Hades.

A bowel so impacted, stomach so extended, distension and an insidious smell. Sulphur, fire and brimstone and other concoctions, stories only the bible can tell.

The pits of hell surly opened with the lifting so gently of that lid of the box on my mums dressing table top... scREAMing loudly. Sounds once drowned out by the sounds of a battle, beginning to swell, bursting the drums inside my ears .
Then as silence tumbles, descending I awake, pretending, "ReALLY I’VE got nothing to fear."

Po
  • KookieMunchster
  • poemagraphic
  • KookieMunchster
  • poemagraphic
  • poemagraphic
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook