1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Time to get back on track

Published by Gezzabelle in the blog Gezzabelle's blog. Views: 1645

After 20 months of nursing my husband through cancer...all the ups and downs....hopes and prayers...he lost his fight in January. This was heartbreaking and threw me headlong into having to find out how to do everything on my own. He had done everything for 40 years...paid the bills, fixed things, drove me everywhere. I had to hit the ground running and sort out the funeral, paying bills, changing names on accounts etc and learn how to run the home. My eating had gone downhill while caring for him and it is only now that I feel I can try and get back on track again. I am so much more active now as I have to walk everywhere and have gone back to riding my bike for some journeys. I have early onset COPD so it pushes my breathing to the limit but most importantly, I have not given up trying. I take each day as it comes and deal with whatever comes my way. I decided the only way to deal with the grief and feelings of despair was to draw up a plan of action to put my mind to. I noted things I couldn't do....like sanding down window frames and staining and varnishing them and decided to deal with that by getting the windows replaced....one less worry for me to have on my mind. I have worked hard in the garden ...shaped the lawns and changed the design of it to make it easier to handle. I have painted 5 rooms and got rid of a mountain of clutter and junk. I have done my best to survive what has been an horrific time and come out the other side somewhat battered but still here fighting. I will now tackle my diet and try to get back where I should be with it. I will get my annual bloods results July 5th and I don't hold out much hope that the results will be good but that can be put right now hopefully. I have other issues ...my blood pressure is high....the GP and nurses are of no help as they either pat me on the head and say everything is fine or they blame everything on the fact I have lost my husband which is not the reason for any of it but I can see me having a battle on my hands to make them see that my blood pressure has been high for a lot longer than he was ill and needs fixing. The problem is now, that every consultation is met with the sympathetic faces and how are you dear....they don't listen about the issue I have gone with....they just spin me the sympathy thing to pacify me and ignore my health issues. Onwards and upwards now....wish me luck
  • Diakat
  • Gezzabelle
  • Mal37
  • Gezzabelle
  • Pipp
  • feniangirl
  • Lordy100
  • Gezzabelle
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook