1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Trend showing how I control my Blood Sugars during aerobic exercise

Published by Gary61 in the blog Gary61's blog. Views: 59

Phew, working really hard in the gym at the mo and loving it. Just thought I would upload a trend showing
how I go about trying to control my blood sugars when I run on the treadmill. I thought on this trend that I would attempt to
run for 8km which would have been impossible when I started 7 weeks ago in the gym.
I first began by starting to increase my sugars about an hour before running. Because I was running this distance, I decided
to increase my sugars to 11.3 just before running. I also selected my temporary basal of 8.3 at about 40mins prior to the run
as well. So as you can see, after about 25mins my sugars began their steep descent. This was slowed down a little due to my
pump ceasing to give me any insulin in Automatic. My sugars then levelled off at 6.7ish for the rest of the run.
I have found that if I then stop my temporary target and go back to normal bolusing, I have a better chance of stopping a
sudden rise which can sometimes happen a little later. As you can see, it worked really well.
I have to emphasize though that it is not always that perfect and quite often I have to carry out small tweaks, but very rarely
do I lose control with this new pump.
Not bad eh! :)

Attached Files:

You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook