1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vitamin B12 deficient - rather cross!

Published by Concordjan in the blog Concordjan's blog. Views: 449

I used to take B12 supplements on prescription as my levels were low. About 18 months ago , following a blood test, the doctors stopped these as my levels were then fine. Last time I saw the DN I asked if these could be checked again as I was a bit concerned about this- they might only have been fine as I was on B12 supplements. She obliged and added them to the form for next blood test.Over the last couple of months I have experienced pins and needles in both hands and numbness on the back of one. Went to the docs and been referred to the hospital where I was told it could be diabetic neuropathy or carpal tunnel problems and due to go back for further tests. Meanwhile did some reading on this site and found out the symptoms could be due to lack of B12. Had the blood test done (although not due until November). Had a call from surgery, the doctor wants to see me regarding my low B12! I am not only on Metformin but Omeprozole (for hiatus hernia) - both can cause low B12. Why didn't they keep me on the tablets and why did I have to ask for the test? Don't these doctors read! I just hope I get full feeling back in my hand or I feel like suing them.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook